Sunday, October 5, 2008

What do you do when your dreams go bad?

You build a better dream.

This is the wisdom I learned today from The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. Yes, a campy kid movie made me tear up. Our dreams don't always work out the way they are supposed to. There is a wonderful quote by Edgar Allen Poe, "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." I used to have a bookmark with this engraved on it. I think it is still in the pages of The Return of the King where it was left when I finished reading it.

R and I had a good talk today in the car after dinner with A and his wife. I mentioned how I wanted to travel and go have adventures and fill up my life with more stories and experience and how I felt I needed to do this on my own. R replied he would like to do this with me. Something clicked. It was like we were on the same page. At this point in our life R has to follow a certain set of rules to keep his job. Someday, we will reach a point where he can lead a life less guarded.

In the meantime, he has realized I am not about to go off the deep end and the friends I have made over the past year or two are trustworthy and will take care of me. They are really friends; the kind who will smack me over the head with a clue-by-four when I am going to do something stupid. The kind of friends who stick with you when your pie karma is running low.

The past year has been shaky between R and myself. It is funny how a fifteen minute conversation can put you back on level ground. I believe the ideas were always there, we just didn't have the right words to communicate them.

1 comment:

Raquel said...

You did not have bad pie karma. Actually, it was good. You were out of your element with apple, and did well.